Monday, April 21, 2008

The mother of all wakeup calls

(April, 2001) -- Just a few days after we meet Crystal, I step out of the shower to a ringing phone.

“I think this baby is coming today,” Crystal says. She’s been having contractions for several hours, even though the due date isn’t for two more weeks.

Ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh is all I can think. I tell Crystal I have to go in to work just to wrap up a few things. Rob has already left for work so I call him. We decide to meet at Crystal’s mom’s house later in the morning.

I arrive before Rob. It’s still a bit awkward because Crystal and I hardly know each other. She’s been through labor and birth before, but everything I know I learned from Tabitha's birth on reruns of Bewitched. Should I boil towels or something?

I make myself useful by timing her contractions. We are advised to not head to the hospital until they are five minutes apart, lasting one minute each. We have a ways to go.

By late morning we watch soaps together on TV. We go for walks around the block to move contractions along. We share stories of old boyfriends and heartache, and I tell her what a wonderful man Rob is, that he was SO worth waiting for. We stumble on to the fact that we both love chocolate chip cookie dough (what are the odds? OK, quite high, but it seemed like kismet at the time).

Not knowing what else to do with myself, I find my way around her mom’s kitchen and whip up some chocolate chip cookies. But, for various reasons, I don't get the chance to put the dough in the oven.
###

(This entry. along with other posts about my daughter's coming home story, were edited and published in the May/June 2007 issue of Adoptive Families magazine.)

2 comments:

Becky said...

What a neat experience! We got the call, from a payphone in a drug store local to her, that B was "leaking". Unfortunately all I could do was talk to her over the phone to try and reassure her. We were on the opposite side of the country! I don't think I will ever get over missing my son's birth.
But we got there within his first day on earth. Transcontinental adoption has some drawbacks. :-)

Lori said...

Becky -- I'm so glad you were able to get there so quickly. You must have been ready to go!