Thursday, June 26, 2008

Battle, blizzard, baby boy?

(March, 2003) -- I'm watching TV with a sense of doom, feeling like there is a cannonball in the pit of my stomach. Soldiers are on the move...aircraft are dropping explosives...dying has begun while I am awaiting life. The United States has just gone to war against Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq.

In my little world, Denver is socked in. The biggest snowstorm in 90 years hits during Spring Break, and nothing moves in the city for three days. A city bus is stranded on our residential street. Tree limbs litter lawns, roads and cars as snow weighs down blossoming branches. The snow has stopped but gigantic drifts remain. Snowmen are just waiting to be made corporeal.

Because of the snow day, Rob is home with Tessa and me. We plan to bundle up and go sledding down our street.

When the phone rings.

“Hi, Lori. This is Sheryl from Lutheran Family Services. I’m actually calling to talk with Tessa.” Sheryl giggles, obviously loving this part of her job.

I put the handset on speaker-phone and hand it to my daughter. “Hi, Tessa. I’m calling to see if you’d like a baby brother…”

My heart stops. A baby? A boy? Rob overhears from the next room and rushes in. I reach for something to takes notes on and with, and try to get my 1001 thoughts to line up single file.


5 comments:

Becky said...

Aww! That's so cute that they talked to your daughter first.

Joanna said...

Shame on you for stopping THERE!!

nancy said...

omg. omg. omg. and I know the ending. But still. omg.

Lori said...

Becky -- yes, just one of many reasons why I loved our SW and our agency.

Joanna -- come back Monday!

Nancy -- I KNOW! I still think that, too!

Wordgirl said...

Hi Lori,

I'm just rereading and re-immersing myself -- I truly enjoy this...the writing here is so vivid.

I always feel so heartened by your presence out there in the blog-o-sphere -- thank you thank you for your perspective and your heart.

XO

Pam