Monday, October 5, 2009

Adoption...us?

(Summer, 2000) -- I buy a book called, Sweet Grapes: How to Stop Being Childless and Start Being Childfree.

It helps me reframe our available decisions. Instead of being at the mercy of a stupid god who allows stupid fertility situations to occur (don’t tell me everything has a reason because most of the reasons are also stupid), I can see that I do have choices.

One of the hardest things about infertility is that I've spent four years being choice-less, passive, a victim. I need to feel I'm in the driver's seat of my life again, and this book helps me gain that perception.

Our choices:

1. We can continue to be childfree. Benefits: we’ll have $$ and time to have fun, travel, see movies, be spontaneous.

2. We can try fertility treatments again. Costs: lots of $$ with low odds of success.

3. We can look into adoption.

So we do.

1 comment:

MrsSpock said...

Your choices seem so easy here, though I know they were not. I hope I can reach the point where the water seems clear instead of muddy.